Where would I be without spam? Because I love it so, I figured I would share some Spam facts with my friends - you. Just think how popular you will be at the next party when you can spout Spam facts about!
Now that is good eats
- Chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added.
- Salt (for binding, flavour, and firmness)
- Water (to help in mixing)
- Sugar (for flavour)
- Sodium Nitrite (for colour and as a preservative)
- Nutrition Information For the Original SPAM.
Good and good for you
- Calories Per Serving: 170
- Calories Per Serving From Fat: 140
- Serving Size: 2 oz.
- Servings Per Container: 6 (large) or 3.5 (small)
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 750mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 0g
- Proteins: 7g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 2%
- Nifty Spam Trivia!
- By World War II, Hormel had sold twenty thousand tons of Spam. Then, during the wartime meat rationing, Spam got popular...
- If all the cans of Spam ever eaten were put end-to-end, they would circle the globe at least ten times.
- In the U.S. alone, 3.8 cans of Spam "are consumed every second"(assuming SPAM is eaten 24 hours a day, 365.25 days a year).
- Senator Robert Byrd of West Viginia eats a sandwich of SPAM and mayonnaise on white bread three times a week.
- Residents of Hawai'i eat an average of four cans of SPAM per person per year, more than in any other place on Earth (Elsewhere in the Universe, who knows?).
- By 1959, a billion cans of SPAM had been sold. The two billion mark was hit in 1970, followed by three billion in 1980, four billion in 1986, and five billion in 1993. That's a lot of SPAM!
- In Korea, SPAM is sold in stylish presentation gift boxes of nine cans each. SPAM stolen from army PXs can be found on the Korean black market. And there are Korean imitations called Lo-Spam, Dak, Plumrose, and Tulip, to ensure that no one need go without.
- Nikita Krushchev once credited SPAM with the survival of the WWII Russian army. ''Without SPAM, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army,'' he said.
- SPAM is sold in over 99% of U.S. grocery stores.
- The SPAM luncheon meat trademark is registered in 93 countries.
- Over 60 million people in the U.S. eat SPAM.
- SPAM is made in two U.S. locations - Austin, Minnesota, and Fremont, Nebraska - and seven other countries: England, Australia, Denmark, Phillipines, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea.
- In 1989, the U.S. armed forces bought 3.3 million pounds of SPAM.
- Over 141 million cans of SPAM are sold worldwide each year.
Perhaps now you understand my love of Spam